The big idea behind this kitchen was getting my client’s silverware out of the upper cabinet and into a proper drawer. The original U-shaped kitchen layout was soo tight that my client literally stored his silverware in the upper cabinets! So getting his silverware and other wares into proper drawers was the start of our conversation. We then developed layout variations that provided spaces for gathering, increased storage, and better flow. To accommodate a new pantry we removed the water heater closet by putting the tank in with the laundry closet (the washer and dryer are now stacked to accommodate the tank). We also removed the sliding door and replaced it with a single door to allow for more wall space for cabinets.
This project had a super tight deadline as my client, a tenured faculty member in the Spanish department, wanted to accomplish the renovation himself between semesters over the winter break (which he accomplished!!). To fast-track the process, we were still finalizing floor plans while he was simultaneously demo’ing the space. My client selected Ikea cabinetry to accommodate this quick deadline, but we added a geometric floor tile and black faucet, sink, and fixtures give it a custom slightly edgy look.